On the fourth of January I awoke to the security of warm, familiar arms around my body only to realise today my life will change immensely.
Standing at the airport looking your loved ones in the eye and knowing it will be the last time for a year really is a knife through the chest. However, the bitter sweetness of it all is somewhat refreshing. Three friends; Charlotte Miles, Matt Duncan, Dylan Cross, and myself, boarded our plane and set sail. The flight over was long (considering the limited activities and constant nasal burn from the air conditioning) but a transition into what will become my new life. The eastern coast of Australia put on the most spectacular and unforgettable sunset. Nine hours later I arrived in Bangkok to stretch for a quality forty-five minutes. Another fourteen hours on and the lights of London were glowing. All in all it was a good flight – besides losing £50 (~$AUS75) in the bathroom. The three of us then left the plane at Heathrow and parted ways. On the way to the train station Jordan Hughes remarkably walked past and that was indefinitely the happiest I have ever been to see him. I managed to find a friendly Englishmen who sold me a ticket and directed me to the right platform where I sat on a train for a good hour waiting to transfer onto the Central Line. From there I walked about a kilometer, fell down one flight of stairs and hopped onto the train (or tube as I’ve come to realise they are referred to) that took me to Liverpool Street. When I arrived I caught a version of country link to Ipswich, which cost a good £40.80, where I finally met Brian – my Gap coordinator. So, we arrived at Orwell Park School where I had a tour of the school grounds and spent the next 5 hours cleaning and unpacking.
The time difference between England and home is great; my body is only just beginning not to hate me. Oh also, the sun doesn’t fully rise until around nine, and begins to set around five.
There is much more to tell, but working 12+ hour days doesn't leave much energy to write late at night.
There is much more to tell, but working 12+ hour days doesn't leave much energy to write late at night.
♥