Thursday, April 28, 2011

Love.

SO; as you know-
I live in England.
Work in a prep school.
Teach 5 year olds.
And get to travel the world.
Travel the world whenever I can.

For the past 4 weeks I've been to the birthplace of some of the best Rock and Roll bands this world has known,  to The City of Love, and the most interesting historical city. It was a long, hungry and hot holiday but all I want to do is get up and do it again.


I started my easter break in and out of London. Staying at Mile End (I would not recommend) but falling in love with St. John's Wood and spending some MUCH needed time with some of my favourites: CM, MD, RM and SM at King's Cross (the good one).

Oh Ryan. Oh Charlotte. The only photo I managed to take (besides a hilarious video)




9th
In the early hours of Saturday the 9th of April; CM, SM and myself headed for Marseille on the South coast of France. On the way Char and I almost missed our stop and ended up in Brussels. Luckily we realised just in time (literally throwing our luggage off the train) and continued the day long train trip. When we finally arrived and found our hostel (the world's tinniest but friendliest) we wondered the streets, got to know the city and ate some much, much needed lunch before heading to sleep as I think I'd had two hours at the most in the past two days.





Tram lines are everywhere. There is no warning. Watch out.


10th
After spending only a couple of days there I decided to agree with all those people who say 'the French only care for French speaking persons'. Some people would not care for the light of day. Later though after having been to Paris I realised this must only be the case in smaller cities and towns as people there are really quite helpful - due to the tourism. I suppose. 


We went on the biggest walk up hills and around headlands to find a beach. It looked really quite similar to Horse Shoe Bay in SWR. The water was absolutely freezing but I was so so glad to be able to go for a swim. 


It's like being at home; in the water. That water is my Nobbys water. It has been there.


The biggest difference was that about 80% of the people on the beach were smoking. Actually, everywhere I went in France people were smoking. A lot and a lot of people. We spent the whole day at the beach before catching a horrible, horrible ride on the bus back into the main part of town. By this time is was late, I had absorbed a much needed dose of vitamin D, I had sand in my undies and my hair was in knots. It felt wonderful. I'm very much looking forward to Orwell's giant pool to being cleaned and warmed up this term.

This is Vieux Port - it had rows upon rows of beautiful motor cruisers and yachts.


These giraffes are (I think) life size (they are huge anyway) and have books built into them. In the baby giraffe there is a shelf in it's middle where (I'm assuming) people share and trade books. I found myself a lovely photography/art book and took it as a souvenir.




Sadly this was the only photo I took of the beach. I have a D90 and use a rather obvious lens and felt a bit creepy using it whilst most people were semi-naked.


Made some de-lish pasta for dinner. Enough to feed an army. I love these two.


Oh you.



11th
After coming all the way to Marseille to, among other things, get away from work and children; I was very unpleasantly woken up by the sounds of laughing and screaming children ! Turns out the hostel was next to a primary school and I now had this to look forward to for the next three nights. Woo. 

This morning we had some more delicious crepes (pronounced 'cr-epp' in French with no S. Thought it was weird that no one knew what we were talking about.. Especially in France) and went on a Les Petit Train tour around the coast; pretty much the same as the ones that they have in Timbertown. It was super cheap (added bonus considering I'm not rolling in it) and took us all around the city. 

Later we sorted out this lovely restaurant Au Vieus Port buy the Marina where we had a delicious pizza, rosé and met the most wonderful waiter in the world. We sat and ate and drank for hours before trekking home (~15 minute walk.. Uphill..).



Nom, nom. Lemon and Sugar.



I didn't get any photo's of it; but people chose to park and drive where ever they want in Marseille. If there was a piece of cement or asphalt, there was a car or bike on it. 




Sinead-ow.





Marseille, Marseille, Marseille. 


If you're like I was and are pronouncing this 'Mar-sell', you're wrong. It's "Mar-say'.


Char-Char.





This is Notre Dame; Marseille's one anyway. I kinda actually didn't get to the one in Paris. Whoops.


Au Vieux Port










12th
By this time it had felt like we had been in Marseille forever but in fact this was only our fourth and last day as we were leaving super early the next morning. Feeling like we'd seen most of the city (it only really has heat and water) we decided (after much, much debating) to go on a walk around the coast. We ended up at a lighthouse kind of thing. I'm not actually sure what it is, possibly an old watch tower. Anywho is was so windy and hot but I couldn't go swimming because the rocks probably would have killed me. 

Everywhere in Europe (that I have been anyway) play the same songs. And the same songs at home. I have never listened to this amount of pop in my life and now think I know every word to every top 40 song there is. So, after getting back to hostel before going to dinner we laid in the cool breeze and listened to the likes of Ben Folds, Radiohead and Little Red whilst I read my book. Then we went to dinner at the same place as last night and ever so French-ly, our waiter greeted us (which took me completely by surprise) with a kiss on either cheek and a (not so surprisingly)  ça va ? There again we ate, drank local red wine, were waited on by the most attractive of men and talked for hours.  We were kissed on the cheek once again and said au revoir once more.

We walked back to the hostel for (what we thought was) the last time to find new roomies at the house. The guy that manages it name is Sam (Char insisted his name was Seech or something) who had friends (Brian and some, possibly Chinese or Japanese, guy who did not look away form his computer screen) from university visiting him who later invited us to a house party around the corner. Nade turned the offer up and headed to bed whilst Char and I walked around the corner to find ourselves in a little flat with Sam and Brian (both Moroccan) and a bunch of other French people. After being there for a while some girls showed up and kissed us on the cheek (again, very French-ly). I find it super fun as this would never, never happen back home, especially with people who had just met. All in all it was a fun night drinking tequila and being excluded from conversations because all the French I know is Bonjour and pa le vous Anglais. After being given some discounts for Seine River cruises we headed home and to bed where we got only a few hours of sleep before having to get up and head to Paris.

Vieux Port






Yes.




13th
Nade and I started our trip to Paris very la-di-da like sitting in first class on the train whilst Char was in a tiny seat 'sitting next to a man who is holding what appears to be tent poles'. When we arrived, we figured out the Metro and struggled with our luggage and headed for Place de Clichy. On the way we were stopped at Anvers for about forty five minutes due to bomb scare on the train line. Good times. The upside to this was we met a lovely middle aged lady who had just been shopping for veges and chatted to us about Australia and places to see in Paris. Finally the trains were up and we found our way to our hotel not hostel. It was right near the metro, had it's own shower and tv (it was, however, €25 which is a little pricey to the €11 place in Berlin. But, it is Paris and we did book the day before). We headed straight for the Champs Elysees to have a wonder around where we saw the Arc de Triomphe, ate fairy floss and bought tickets to Disneyland ! 

One thing I have noticed about France is the different type of youth than where I live. In Ipy the most guys wear those shiny track pants with the white stripes up the side topped off with a hoddie. Paris and London for that fact are a lot, lot nicer.

I thing this night we had a baguette for dinner.. But this was the case almost every night in Paris.  




  
14th
Today: DISNEYLAND.
Deciding to go was completely unexpected, but what the hey. I've been to Disneyland in Japan twice and Disneysea there once. This did not hinder my fun the slightest. 
The train ride to get there took f-o-r-e-v-e-r.
We went on pretty much every ride there is, walked around for ages and ages, ate no proper food (the temptation of novelty food is far too intense), waited in ridiculously long lines and laughed - a lot.

If you have been to Disneyland Paris before and have been on Space Mountain you will understand..
If you have been to Disneyland but one other than Paris or not Disneyland at all; you have no idea how much fun roller coasters can be. Space Mountain.
We went on this ride about seven times. It hurts like hell but oh so much fun.



Dis-a-knee-land ! Favourite.


You put the card in..


... And the money comes out.
































Possibly one of the funniest moments ever. Nade and I went in one carriage on a children's ride; Snow White, whilst Char was by herself. I think she actually cried..



  

 15th
This day we decided to head to Montmartre which is where I had hoped to stay but our terrible lag in booking accommodation prevented us from doing so. Here we saw the Sacre Coeur; essentially a church but now mainly a place of remembrance to those who lost their lives in the wars. 


My mother's friend's daughter Amy lived in France for quite some time and gave specific instructions not to let the men use your finger to hold string whilst they braid it. I am so, so glad for this as they were everywhere and she said that they will not let you go once you pay them for it !
Anyway, if you see these guys RUN !


After visiting Montmartre, Char decides we should go to Barbès – Rochechouart to visit the giant Tatti (French version of Primark, or a cheaper version of cotton on - perfect for us poor gappies). Worst idea EVER. Don't go here. It's not fun. The men to women ratio is about 10:1 and it's scary. Just don't go. Okay.


So, naturally, we left rather quickly and headed to La Tour Eiffel.  Here we bought some (more) baguettes and had a little picnic before it became extremely cold from the clouds coming over (the only cold day during my holiday). 








Sacre Coeur







View of PARIS




First sight of the Tower







Australian embassy right next to The Eiffel Tower. Little did we know we would spending quite a lot of time here in the coming days..













16th
At this point in the trip I was super relaxed and in a good mind state. After traveling on Paddywagon this was like heaven. Those tours are so full on and you'er either on a bus, moving your luggage or dying from air conditioning air. Exploring on my own/with friends has been so, SO much better.


The LOURVE today. Fun fun. It is absolutely HUGE, and amazing, and epic. Yes, I saw The Mona Lisa and The Venus de Milo and a million other works. We didn't, however, get to look through the whole museum as we hadn't eaten so went to get some lunch.  I would like to go here again one day, with someone who really appreciates art; so I appreciate and understand art history more. 


We again wondered around the Champs Elysees before going out to dinner where I bought a well worth €7 salad - my first the whole time I've been away.. 


Char told me something funny tonight and I finished my book.




There are café's everywhere in France. Literally everywhere.

















The glass cage and wooden barrier (?) after she was stolen.

















17th
This day was not good. Not good at all.
Charlotte had everything stolen. Pick pocketed. Thieved. Nicked. Flogged; what have you.
We were on a train, it was busy, there was a small girl really close to us, she left the train and was attached to Char's headphones. At that point she bluntly says 'I deffs just got all my shit stolen'. 
Looking back now we should have realised what was going on, but, I suppose, most of us try not to think the worst of small children. This one, however, turned out to be a gypsy who is now running around Paris with Charlotte Miles' identity. On the upside, there was no cash, phone, camera or iPod in the purse she stole.


It was a horrible experience.
Pat your pockets.
Always, always pat your pockets.


Anyway, Pappa Miles said not to worry and he would sort most of the formalities (credit cards etc) out so we went on to the markets. Here, we wondered around for a while but after not too long we headed back to Place de Clichy, and made plans to go to the embassy tomorrow.


18th
Woke up early to go to the embassy where among French and New Zealand, there were Australians there (figures) and it was super lovely to hear their voice. Char did all the paper work needed (which almost killed her) and we decided to go sit in the sun at the Eiffel Tower as it was so scorching hot.


After lunch we had planned to go to the famous Notre Dame but found a sign for a train to Versailles and decided to go there. Somehow we managed the trip without a ticket even though it took about an hour to get there. 
The Palace of Versailles is (after a ten minute crash modern French history lesson off Charlotte) where all members of the Royal family lived in the 17th and 18th centuries; Louis the 14th, 15th and 16th, Marie Antoinette and where The Treaty of Versailles was signed at the end of World War One which ultimately to the beginning of World War Two.


Turns out that Monday's (as this was) is that only day the palace doesn't open, so instead we hired some bikes and went for a ride all around the grounds. I haven't ridden a bike since I was probably 12 but as they say - it's like riding a bike; you'll never forget.
I had a really nice today with my two fellow travelers. That night we went out for dinner where I was given some delicious meat and it took me AND Char about ten minutes to explain to the guy it wasn't what I wanted. Language barriers really do cause confusion. 


Place de Clichy




The Eiffel Tower




















Way to Versailles 








Grounds that go on forever



The Palace of Versailles






























 19th
This morning Char got her new 'Emergency Passport' and officially became Australian again. We also sat at a police station for a bit over an hour whilst she made a report (which later came in very handy). 
We had planned to check out of the hostel at three-thirtyish as Nade (idiot) said her train to London left at 4:30. Turns out it was 4:13 and she almost missed it. Anyway, it was (sorry Nade) rather hilarious watching her run up and down corridors trying to check in. 

Char and I then had a bit over two hours before our train to Berlin left so we made our way to the Eurorail and sat in (another) cafe.

We spent around five hours on a train before changing at Mennheim (WHERE you can get this thing called a 'Burger Party' form McDonalds: six burger for five euro. It is really encouraging obesity). We (after avoiding numerous homeless people asking for what I assume was money - don't speak German) hopped on your sleeper train, which was super fun but also weird, and slept for the next seven hours or so.




20th
We arrived in Berlin and took the U-Bahn to Gorlitzer Bahnhof where we found our little hostel Baxpax. So happens that we couldn't get into to our room until two (at this point it was nine) so, disgustingly dirty and unbrushed teeth, we were forced to wonder Berlin for five hours. We went into Potsdamer Platz. 

The best thing about Berlin as they don't have metro gates like most other places do so there's no real need to buy tickets. We didn't about 80% of the time but luckily we weren't hit up by one of the patrollers on the train. Very lucky as it's a forty-something euro fine. After sitting and drinking well needed coffee we went back to find out it would be even longer before we could go and shower and what not. 

Finally getting in to our room we shared with 13 others (luckily not the 29 as the website said) we crashed.


Mannheim Hof



Gorlitzer Bahnhof








Legoland !




21st
Today we decided to go to the Jewish Museum. It took so much effort to find the place (we later found out it is pretty much around the corner form Potsdamer Platz) but spent almost the whole day there. The building is in two parts, an old section and the new is designed by Daniel Lebeskind who has had created some magnificent structures. It is such an amazing place, both architecturally and historically. I learned a lot about the holocaust, the wars and the suffrage pointlessly endured. But the biggest impact the day had on me was the building. It made me want to study architecture again. After so many hours thinking about reasons why not to do it at uni, it's changed my mind. I highly recommend going to the museum if you ever get to Berlin. 

Afterwards we enjoyed some 'Aussie cut fries' and an Australian themed restaurant 'Corroboree'. Too fun. 

So many train




A small section of The Berlin Wall




A replication of the original Checkpoint Charlie


The Garden of Exile in The Jewish Museum









Architectural representation of a gas chamber


Rah






Wishing Tree



















None of the walls or floors are exactly 'right' within the building and parts are supposed to give a disorientating feel. Its shape is 'reminiscent of a warped Star of David'.  Irregular shaped windows cut in all orientations and directions across the building.















Somewhere..





Corroboree



22nd
We woke up fairly early this morning to have (yet another) delicious breakfast from the bakery across the road. Then we caught the U-Bahn to Brandenburg Gate where we awaited our tour group to go on a free three and a half hour walk around the city. A lot of people had recommended this one and said it was the best thing to whilst in Berlin. 

I'm really glad to have done this as the girl who took us on the tour knew so much about the history of the city. Definitely, definitely do this is you get to Berlin. It's free (woo) and good exercise. 

We headed out for a little while, but it was really scary with just the two of us. So we came home. Terrible I know.

Alexanderplatz



Brandenburg Gate




The Reichstag 







Holocaust Memorial - much like that at the Jewish Museum. The blocks are left to the viewers interpretation (said the architect). I found them to resemble somewhat tombs.










Hitler's bunker. There is nothing here to commemorate the place as to glorify Hitler would be utterly wrong.




Last standing Nazi style building



The Berlin Wall. Read and learn about the wall. It is so so interesting





Replication of Checkpoint Charlie





Book burning memorial





23rd
This day we didn't do tooo much. Hung around the the Potsdamer Platz
There is is place we went to a fair bit - The Sony Centre, where they hold all the German movie premiers.

Tonight I took a lot of photos of Char in the hostel as it had fun lighting. Afterwards we went out with a few friends we made at the hostel. It was a very, very fun night.
Berlin has 'one of the best club records in Europe' and I want to come back and do it again.

Potsdamer Platz












Char Miles















24th
Last day of holidays. Wah.
Final day on holidays and in Berlin.
We were leaving in the afternoon but had to check out of the hostel in the morning.
We spent most of the day eating various food at various restaurants.
By this stage I was out of clean undies and socks and shampoo.





Mmm












I had the best of times in France and Germany. Traveling with close friends and being able to do the things you want, when you want is definitely the way to see the world. The stupid saying that it's the people who make the experiences is the absolute truth. 

Paris is beautiful. Go there, fall in love (with patisseries, fashion or men), walk in the sunshine. Berlin is so so interesting. I really want to go back there in the future, if not this year.



I am now sitting back at Orwell Park. I've been at work for two days now and it's made me appreciate time off so much. I haven't been too fussed about being back as in three weeks time I will be nineteen and have a week off where I am going to (probably) Spain. Then summer is in eleven weeks where for two whole months I will have Jess Philips, Olivia Boyd-Smith, Jemma Young visiting and joining me in traveling the world.